Visualization for Planners – 33286 – CP 6006
Class 12:30 pm – 3:15 pm West Architecture 358 (little GIS lab)
1 Credit, (~3 hours per week in class, not a lot of out of class work)
This course will be like a ‘studio’ class. Attendance is important. We will learn about different information visualization and geovisualization principles for urban planning each week in lecture and through readings.
Course Goals and Learning Outcomes
After successfully completing this course, students will:
- List sources of data and data types for urban planning.
- Explain why scale and context are important for planners.
- Describe how the use of symbology, including visual variables like color, size, transparency, are important for visualization.
- Explain characteristics of data types.
- Learn how to map quality reference maps and thematic maps.
- Explain principles of good maps including element hierarchy and design.
- Create a quality static map and interactive map with linked charts.
- Understand the needs of data visualizations for the planning community.
- Describe how principles of data science, user interaction, pre-attentive processing relate to visualizations.
- Explain where data visualizations are used in planning and how they are used for decision-making and communication to the public.
- Note the roles of the local government, federal government, international agencies, media, private sector, local community, and academic community in creating visualizations.
Course Requirements & Grading
Attendance and Professionalism
Basic In-Class Exercises
35% (5 @ 7 each)
There is no textbook associated with this course but we will be relying on articles from the UCGIS Book of Knowledge. In terms of textbooks, I recommend Designing Better Maps by C. Brewer and Thematic Cartography and Geovisualization by T. Slocum. These are both amazing books.
We will also use a number of primary sources in class discussion. They will be assigned on Canvas, but a few are listed here:
—ATLANTA’S TRANSPORTATION PLAN
—EPA: ATLANTIC STATION (Project XL and Atlantic Steel)
—ATLANTA BICYCLE COALITION STRATEGIC PLAN 2020+
—ATLANTA BELTLINE MAPS
BELOW IS AN EXAMPLE SCHEDULE AND IT WILL CHANGE.
|1||Are you there, data? It’s me, an urban planner.||Census data and scale (Tract, Block Group, Block, TAZ, County…). A friendly legend. A scale bar.||Census Data Maps (visualizing change, deviation from mean, and raw numbers)||none|
|2||Data types and representation. Data binning strategies. (#Binning!)||Nominal: Zoning Data; Ordinal: Soil Quality; Diverging and Sequential Ramps. Hierarchy and prominence.||City Zoning Maps||Census outlines|
|3||Basemaps, and Themes, Fonts, Labels, Symbols, Accessibility||Discover CAD data. Integrate CAD. (Adobe Illustrator)||Basemap comparison||Same data, different bins|
|4||Buildings and parcels, elevation, 3D.||Start static map Including call outs, cultivating a theme, using templates, legibility, cleanliness.||Campus Maps||Your “trickster” map, and your fix|
|5||Reference Maps: Scale, Fills, Transparency, Inset Maps and Sites||Work on static map||Environmental Planning Maps: Sites||none|
|6||Visualizing a region; Remotely sensed images.||Work on static map||Regional Maps (App. Reg Council; Miss. Delta Econ.; Shenzhen SEZ)||none|
|7||None||PRESENTATIONS||none||Static Map Due|
|8||Point Collection & Contour lines||Avoiding point clutter, aggregating points, creating a hot spot, contours.||MAP ROAST!||none|
|9||Boundary issues: Line thickness. Transportation routes||Create a subway map, bus map, or bike lane map.||Transportation Plans & Subway Maps||Point collection|
|10||Flows and connections||Kepler GL: flights, or trade data||none|
|11||Tables, Charts & Interactivity Principles||Interactive map: Basic data representation in Tableau||COVID-19 Dashboards||Flow map or Transportation map|
|12||Charts & Interactivity Principles||Interactive map: Advanced data representation in Tableau||VISUALIZATION REDESIGN!||Optional: Data redesign|
|13||none||Work on interactive map: get feedback on draft||none||none|
|14||none||PRESENTATIONS||none||Interactive Map Due|